shine school partnership
Shine School Partnership is a 501-C3 Nonprofit started out of New City Church.Through a formal MOU with APS, Shine School Partnership seeks to partner churches in the community with APS Title-1 schools. Our long-term vision is to see that every APS Title 1 School has an ongoing, meaningful relationship with one or more of the churches in their community.
To learn more about our nonprofit: Shine School Partnership visit www.shineabq.org.
new city 'shines' at mission avenue elementary
New City Church is partnered with Mission Ave. Elementary. New City is committed to supporting Mission Ave. through our Shine School Partnership. This partnership is carrying out the restorative work of the gospel and is an outward expression of who we are as a church.
Please consider how you will play a role in this partnership. Mission Ave is “our school” and the students are “our kids.” As a church body we each bear a responsibility to the school that God has called us to love.
Volunteer at the school:
- Spend an hour a week assisting in a classroom. Kids will benefit from adult interaction, teachers will feel supported. Our goal this year is to have a weekly volunteer in each classroom at Mission Avenue, in order to give support with reading and math. No specialized skills are necessary; your time is the most important asset. Classroom help will be focused on reading to children, simple math and language support.
- Help once or twice a month at the school. If you cannot commit weekly, but would be willing to help once or twice per month, there are tasks to be done such as organizing the free book cart, attendance and behavior rewards, organizing supplies, office help, maintaining the clothing closet and other family resources.
- Volunteer once a semester to help a teacher with a lesson or classroom activity! Use your skill, or just something you’re passionate about to help supplement a teacher’s lesson plan, or help a teacher plan a specific lesson for their students or help organize an activity or craft. We are compiling a database so teachers know who is available, and we can connect you to a class/teacher.
Volunteer with Shine behind the scenes, outside of school hours:
- Teacher and Staff Support. Even if you can’t come to the school, you could help organize gifts for teacher’s birthdays, or meals for staff appreciation on conference days, send appreciation notes throughout the year and more!
- Planning of one-time events and new initiatives. Events such as the School supply drive, thanksgiving food, holiday gift mart, needs pantry and clothing closet for families, and other events and services. New initiatives we’d like to pursue are to provide after school clubs for the students to participate. We’d also like to be able to offer weekend food bags to families who need assistance, sending non-perishable food bags home every Friday. We will also need to gather donations and resources to make these happen. We welcome your ideas, your creativity, skill, and your time!
Be a prayer partner!
We are working with God for the restoration and good of the city! Continue to pray for the staff, the families and the children. We believe we will make a positive impact just by being part of Mission Ave.